Green smoothies are super healthy and super easy to make, and they just might change your life like they did mine.
What Is A Green Smoothie?
A green smoothie is a smoothie using fresh fruits and dark, leafy greens such as spinach, kale, chard, collards, and even dandelion greens (my favorite!). These smoothies are naturally dairy-free, using creamy fruits like bananas, mangoes or papayas to give them a smooth texture.
Why Green Smoothies?
There are many reasons to drink green smoothies, but here are my top 5:
- Easiest way to get 5 servings of fruits and vegetables into your diet every single day. If you struggle with salads and eating green, you’ll find green smoothies exciting and doable!
- Weight loss becomes much easier when I drink at least one green smoothie every day (I lost 40 pounds). Thousands of my green smoothie challenge participants would agree!
- The immune-boosting benefits of green smoothies mean that I get sick a LOT less often, and may also lower my risk for many health conditions such as diabetes and cancer.
- Green smoothies provide natural energy without caffeine. I no longer rely on coffee to get through the day and my energy levels are through the roof!
- They are quick and easy to make, and portable. And delicious!
How To Make The Perfect Green Smoothie – Step By Step Guide
Ready to start blending? Here’s a quick primer on how to make the perfect green smoothies!
Step 1 – Add A Liquid
Start with 8-10 ounces (237-296 milliliters) of either plain water, coconut water, or almond milk (homemade recipe). You can also use organic soy milk. I recommend skipping the dairy (that includes yogurt) when making green smoothies.
Step 2 – Add A Creamy Base Fruit
For a creamy green smoothie, add one of the following fruits: banana, mango, peach, pear, apple or 1 cup of papaya. These fruits have a “creamy” texture that will give your blend a smoothie texture. Also try adding 1/4 avocado for some extra creaminess and heart-healthy fat.
Step 3 – Add 1-2 Flavor Fruits
For delicious flavor combinations, blend your base fruits with berries or more water-rich fruits like oranges, kiwifruits, berries and pineapples. You can also add additional base fruits if you want (may thicken your smoothie more).
My favorite green smoothie flavor blends are:
– 1 Banana (base fruit) with 1 cup strawberries
– 1 Mango (base fruit) with 1 cup pineapple
– 1 Pear (base fruit) with 1 orange
– 1 Apple (base fruit) with 1/2 to 1 cup blueberries
Step 4 – Pulse It Now!
Hold down the “Pulse” button until the ingredients are lightly mixed into a “sludge”. Doing this before adding the greens will make it easier for you and your blender. This step is not necessary if you are using a high end blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec.
Step 5 – Add Leafy Greens!
It’s not a green smoothie without a handful or two of dark, leafy greens! If you are brand new to green smoothies, start with fresh baby spinach since it has the most mild flavor. Once you have a few green smoothies behind you, try out the nutritional rock stars like dandelion greens (my favorite), kale, chard, collards, parsley (yep!), and even romaine lettuce.
Step 6 – Blend It Up!
Blend on high for anywhere between 30-60 seconds or until all ingredients are whirling away, your smoothie turns bright (or dark) green, and it’s smooth as silk!
- Too thick? Add some extra liquid and blend for a few seconds to thin.
- Is your blender struggling to make things smooth? Try blending your greens and liquid together first, then add the fruit and blend a second time.
- Looking for a better blender? Here are my blender recommendations for any budget.
Boost Your Green Smoothies!
If you really want to kick things up a notch or two nutritionally, then try adding a quality protein powder, goji berries, raw cacao powder, chia seeds, maca root, and even sea vegetables.
While these add-ons are purely optional, they each provide added benefits that make my green smoothies even better.
Here are some of my favorite green smoothie boosters (and why I use them).
Here are the top 5 green smoothie articles on our blog:
5) Low Carb Green Smoothies (30 recipes with 30 grams or less of net carbs!)
Have a question? Consult the Green Smoothie FAQ.
The Next Reset Live Challenge Starts June 4th!
About Davy & Tracy
Hey there! We're Davy & Tracy Russell, the husband-and-wife, green smoothie-loving team behind this website. We have helped thousands of people lose weight and transform their health with our green smoothie and plant-based Reset 28 Cleanse!