Drinking a daily green smoothie was THE most powerful, life-changing habit that I ever picked up! Davy and I have been drinking a green smoothie every day for more than a decade.
Back when this website used to be called Incredible Smoothies, we shared hundreds of green smoothie recipes in our book and on our blog, and we have written about weight loss and many other health benefits since we discovered these magickal blends back in 2009.
Drinking fresh, blended fruits with leafy greens and other veggies can be so much more than just something you do to improve your health. Our daily green smoothie has become part of our daily self-care, as well as our nature-centered spiritual practice.
Davy and I use green smoothies to set intentions, practice mindfulness and gratitude, and connect to the cycles and seasons of the Earth.
We both have made an effort to turn our daily green smoothie habit into a mind-body-spirit boosting ritual and not just something we mindlessly gulp down between tasks.
In this article, I will share some tips for boosting the mind-spirit benefits of your daily blend.
What Is A Green Smoothie?
A green smoothie is a smoothie using fresh fruits and dark, leafy greens such as spinach, kale, chard, collards, and even dandelion greens (my favorite!).
These smoothies are naturally dairy-free, using creamy fruits like bananas, mangoes or papayas to give them a smooth texture.
Why Green Smoothies?
There are many reasons to drink green smoothies, but here are my top 5:
- Easiest Way To Get 5+ Servings Of Fruits And Vegetables! If you struggle with salads and eating green, you’ll find green smoothies exciting and doable!
- Weight Loss! Weight loss becomes much easier when I drink at least one green smoothie every day.
- Health Benefits. The health-protecting benefits of green smoothies mean that I get sick a LOT less often, and may also lower my risk for many health conditions including diabetes and cancer.
- A Simple Way To Practice Herbal Magick. Green smoothies become magickal blends when I use fruits, leafy greens, and other ingredients that support my intentions for the day.
- Simple & Easy To Make. This is a doable health (and spiritual) habit since its so easy to do!
How To Make THE Perfect Green Smoothie – Step By Step Guide
Ready to start blending? Here’s a quick primer on how to make THE perfect green smoothie!
Step 1 – Add A Liquid
Start with 8-10 ounces (237-296 milliliters) of either plain water, coconut water, or almond milk. You can also use organic soy milk.
I recommend skipping the dairy (that includes yogurt) when making green smoothies.
Step 2 – Add A Creamy Base Fruit
For a creamy green smoothie, add one of the following fruits: banana, mango, peach, pear, apple or 1 cup of papaya. These fruits have a “creamy” texture that will give your blend a smoothie texture.
Also try adding 1/4 avocado for some extra creaminess and heart-healthy fat.
Step 3 – Add 1-2 Flavor Fruits
For delicious flavor combinations, blend your base fruits with berries or more water-rich fruits like oranges, kiwifruits, berries and pineapples.
You can also add additional base fruits if you want (may thicken your smoothie more).
My favorite green smoothie flavor blends are:
– 1 Banana (base fruit) with 1 cup strawberries
– 1 Mango (base fruit) with 1 cup pineapple
– 1 Pear (base fruit) with 1 orange
– 1 Apple (base fruit) with 1/2 to 1 cup blueberries
Also try vanilla bean, a dash of ground clove, cinnamon, or even cayenne pepper (great with chocolate smoothies made with raw cacao).
Step 4 – Pulse It Now!
Hold down the “Pulse” button until the ingredients are lightly mixed into a “sludge”.
Doing this before adding the greens will make it easier for you and your blender. This step is not necessary if you are using a high end blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec.
Step 5 – Add Leafy Greens!
It’s not a green smoothie without a handful or two of dark, leafy greens!
If you are brand new to green smoothies, start with fresh baby spinach since it has the most mild flavor.
Once you have a few green smoothies behind you, try out the nutritional rock stars like dandelion greens (my favorite), kale, chard, collards, parsley (yep!), and even romaine lettuce.
The “Magic” Ratio: I find that green smoothies taste the best when you use 60% sweet fruit to 40% greens, by volume.
Step 6 – Blend It Up!
Blend on high for anywhere between 30-60 seconds or until all ingredients are whirling away, your smoothie turns bright (or dark) green, and it’s smooth as silk!
Optional Step – Boost It!
While these add-ons are purely optional, they each provide added benefits that make my green smoothies even better.
Here are my favorite green smoothie boosters (and why I use them):
- Protein Powder: Boost the protein content of your green smoothie while making the blend more filling and satisfying. My absolute favorite a raw, vegan rice protein from NutriBiotic.
- Cacao Powder: I use raw cacao (chocolate) powder to give my green smoothies a healthy, chocolate flavor. It also helps me maintain focus and energy without the drawbacks of caffeine.
- Chia Seeds: Loaded with healthy omega-3s, calcium, and fiber, chia seeds are also great for setting intentions for your blends.
- Goji Berries: Boost protein and energy without bulking up your green smoothie. They help replenish your body after working out.
- Maca Root Powder: Increase energy, stamina, and even libido. The flavor isn’t for everyone, so add a small amount to your blend if you’re trying it for the first time.
- Sea Vegetables (Dulse/Kelp): Excellent source of iodine.
How To Do Herbal Magick With Green Smoothies
Here are some ideas for making green smoothies part of your spiritual self-care practice:
1) Mindful Sipping
Don’t just chug your green smoothie as you race out the door in the morning. Instead, try to work green smoothies into a morning self-care routine where you can drink at least some of it while practicing mindfulness.
As you take each sip, focus on the flavors and texture. Think about the fresh, healthy ingredients that you used. Imagine the vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, and fiber entering your body, pushing out toxins and rebuilding cells.
Reflect on your connection with the Earth – how the leafy greens that you are drinking now converted the sun’s energy and the Earth itself into something that is now nourishing you.
2) Intentional Ingredients
Another way turn green smoothies into a spiritual practice is to use ingredients intentionally.
Instead of just tossing in bananas, almond milk, and spinach, get intentional about the ingredients you use.
You can do this a few ways:
- Build your green smoothie recipes around a specific health goal or outcome. You can read more about the health benefits of green smoothies here.
- Look up the “spiritual” meanings behind the fruits, vegetables, and leafy greens that you use and reflect on their properties and meanings as you sip your blend. (See below to get started on this.)
- Add herbs or other edible ingredients that you work with in your magickal practice.
3) Sip & Gratitude
Either before or after each sip, think of and say (out loud, preferably) one thing you are grateful for.
Do this over and over again until you have finished your green smoothie.
The secret to practicing gratitude is to not over-think it. There is absolutely nothing that is too insignificant to be grateful for.
You can also give thanks to the farmers who produce your food, and those who make it possible for you to purchase fresh ingredients. Give thanks for your health, and how green smoothies have helped you lose weight, or improve your well-being (even if you haven’t yet reached your health goal).
The Spiritual / Magickal Properties of Leafy Greens
A great way to unleash the magick of green smoothies is to use ingredients intentionally, and attribute meanings and properties to the ingredients that you use.
Now, I’m not necessarily asking you to believe that adding spinach to your green smoothie is going to magically bring money into your life. You don’t have to believe that food has supernatural abilities. It is perfectly okay if you go into this as a form of “placebo magic”.
However, setting intentions when making your green smoothies, and attributing meaning to the ingredients you use can have a powerful effect at helping you shift your energy and inspire movement toward manifesting things in your life.
Here are the meanings that I attribute to the leafy greens I commonly use in my green smoothies:
Spinach – Prosperity, money, love.
Kale – Strength, resilience.
Dandelion – Detoxification, purification, cleansing.
Lettuce – Simplicity, back to basics, refresh.
Swiss Chard – Protection, security, deflection of negative energy.
Feel free to combine leafy greens in your green smoothie for your own specific intentions.
For example, let’s say that you need to overcome some negative mindset blocks around money, you can blend both dandelion greens (purification, cleansing) and spinach (prosperity, money) while you set the intention to clear negative programming about money and open channels for abundance in your life.
The Spiritual / Magickal Properties of Fruits
You can also attribute spiritual properties to fruits, and use them to help direct their energy to support your goals and intentions.
Here are the spiritual attributes I apply to some of my favorite smoothie fruits:
Apple – Connection to Earth, nurturing, higher self, knowledge, insight.
Pear – Creativity, sensuality, fertility, ideas.
Orange – Joy, playfulness, sun’s energy.
Banana – Energy, action, power, motivation.
Peach – Renewal, energy, youthfulness, wonder.
Strawberry – Love, passion, sensuality.
Grape – Abundance, enjoyment of life, fulfillment, celebration.
Green Smoothie Foods & Chakra Associations
Now that I am studying Reiki, I have begun paying attention to chakras.
You can easily blend green smoothies that “feed” your chakras, or work on chakras that need an extra boost.
Here are some smoothie foods with their chakra associations:
Crown: Coconut, almond milk, white tea, white or clear liquids.
Third Eye/Brow: Red grapes, fig, purple cabbage, plum, blackberries, blueberries, and other purple fruit.
Throat: Blueberries, blackberries, cacao, flaxseed, mint, and other purple or brown fruits and veggies.
Heart: Green apple, kiwifruit, leafy greens, broccoli, cucumber, celery, and other green foods.
Solar Plexus: Bananas, pineapple, and other yellow foods as well as ginger, cinnamon, and turmeric.
Sacral: Oranges, mango, papaya, cantaloupe, carrots, and other orange foods as well as nuts and seeds.
Root Chakra: Strawberries, pomegranate, raspberries, cherry, watermelon, tomatoes, and other red foods as well as root vegetables.
5 Green Smoothie Rituals
Here are some simple green smoothie rituals you can try.
To make these green smoothie recipes, I recommend adding the ingredients in order (reverse order if you are using a NutriBullet-type blender).
Blend on high for 30-60 seconds, depending on your blender.
1) Prosperity Smoothie
To make a green smoothie to support your prosperity or abundance goals, blend:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) of almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1 cup red or green grapes
- 2 small handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- Toss in a tablespoon of cacao powder for energy and focus
As you add each ingredient, say out loud what it is you want to manifest.
For example, you can say something like “I add banana to provide strength and energy to work toward my goal [state specific goal]. I add grapes to celebrate the abundance I have now and the abundance that is coming my way soon. I add spinach to help me be alert to financial opportunities, and to attract money into my life.”
As you blend your green smoothie, visualize yourself working diligently toward a promotion, getting a pay raise, launching or growing your business, or any financial/prosperity goal you have.
As you drink your green smoothie, practice gratitude, or look at a vision board that you created. Or listen to a motivational video/audio program that supports your prosperity goals.
2) Love Smoothie
For a love smoothie, blend:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) of almond milk
- 1 banana
- 1 cup whole strawberries
- 1/2 orange or 1 cup watermelon
- and 1-2 handfuls of spinach
If you need to boost your mojo in the bedroom, add some raw maca powder or bee pollen. You can also use cacao powder if you want.
As you add each ingredient, reflect on your relationship goals.
Is it to attract a mate? Or to deepen your connection with a current partner? As you blend your smoothie, visualize yourself with the love life you dream of.
You can absolutely share this smoothie with a partner!
3) Balance Smoothie
In this green smoothie ritual, you will blend opposites (sour and sweet, for example) to create harmony of flavor.
Use this ritual if you want to restore balance in your life, or bring various aspects of your life into alignment.
- 1 cup (8 ounces) of almond milk
- 1 banana, pear, or other sweet fruit
- 1 orange, 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks, or other tart/sour fruit
- 2 small handfuls of dandelion greens or kale
As you add each ingredient to you blender (sweet, sour, and bitter), state your intention to harmonize whatever it is in your own life that is pulling you off balance.
As you drink your green smoothie, jot down ways to bring things into harmony and alignment.
4) De-Stress Smoothie
Green smoothies can be powerful de-stressors – especially when combined with other self-care activities like meditation, journaling, sipping your blend while sitting in nature, creating art, etc…
To make a stress-busting green smoothie, blend:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) of almond milk
- 1 large peach, nectarine, or apple
- 1 small orange or tangerine
- 1 handful of dandelion greens or 2 handfuls of lettuce
Be sure to drink this smoothie while engaging in relaxing activities, or witting outside in nature. If sitting outside is not an option (ie: rain, winter), then sit by a houseplant and hold a crystal or stone to connect to the rejuvenating energy of the Earth.
5) Chakra Smoothies
Two basic ways of using green smoothies for chakra work is to either:
Make a green smoothie using predominantly foods associated with a specific chakra (for example, red foods and root vegetables for root chakra work),
Make a “Chakra Balancing Green Smoothie” by using one food associated with each of the main chakras. For example, such a smoothie recipe might look like this:
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk, or white tea (chilled) for the Crown Chakra
- 1 cup blueberries (to support both Third Eye and Throat chakras
- 2 small handfuls of leafy greens (to support the Heart chakra)
- 1 banana (to support the Solar Plexus chakra
- 1 tablespoon of flax or chia seeds to support the Sacral chakra
- And 1 small carrot for the Root chakra
Additional Spiritual Green Smoothie-Making Tips
There are many other ways you can spiritually enhance your green smoothie habit.
Another way you can connect your green smoothie habit to your spiritual practice by using seasonal ingredients as much as possible.
Davy and I both observe the eight Sabbats of the Wheel Of The Year, so we’ll make special green smoothies on these days to honor the theme of the holiday, and the shifting of the seasons by blending ingredients that are in season at that time.
Doing this helps us feel more connected to our environment and the seasons, and it encourages us to buy local produce and support neighboring farmers.
Charge Your Smoothie & Smoothie Ingredients With Crystals
Yet another way you can “spiritualize” your green smoothies is to charge them with crystals.
Simply place a clear quartz crystal by your smoothie cup for 5 minutes while you quiet your mind and visualize a white light radiating from the crystal and through your cup of smoothie.
You can also use specific crystals that correspond with the intention of your green smoothie. For example, you can place your prosperity green smoothie in the center of a prosperity crystal grid that includes citrine, aventurine, and pyrite.
Additional Info About Green Smoothies
Here are some frequently asked questions about green smoothies, health, and nutrition.
Green Smoothie Blending & Smoothie Making Tips
- Too thick? Add some extra liquid and blend for a few seconds to thin.
- Is your blender struggling to make things smooth? Try blending your greens and liquid together first, then add the fruit and blend a second time.
- Too bitter? Add another half a banana, orange, 1/4 cup pineapple, or other sweet fruit. Stick with fresh baby spinach, and let your taste buds acclimate before moving on to “pro greens” like kale and dandelion.
- Banana Substitutes: Try using mango, papaya, pear, apple, or peaches.
Best Time Of Day For A Green Smoothie: I prefer to drink my green smoothie in the morning as my first meal of the day. You can easily incorporate them into your Magick Morning ritual.
Weight Loss: Here’s the ultimate guide to weight loss with green smoothies.
Detox & Cleansing: Is your cleanse making you feel miserable? Find out what do do about common detox symptoms and what they mean.
Is it okay to use frozen fruit in a smoothie? YES!
How Long Will Green Smoothies Last In the Fridge? Green smoothies will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours, but you will lose some nutrients as it sits in the fridge. It will also not taste as fresh after the first day and water separation may occur.
Some people make up a big batch of smoothie and drink it over 2 to 3 days. Personally, we don’t like the way smoothies taste after the first day. Fresh is best!
Do YOU incorporate green smoothies into a mindfulness, self-care, or spiritual practice?
If so, please leave a comment below and let us know!
Like this? Please Share!
Free Printable Moon Calendar & Lunar Phases Guide!
Sign up for our weekly e-mail with insights on the moon phase, an intuitive reading, and tips on working with crystals and herbs. You can also download two printable sheets to enhance your daily practice.