Date: January 6, 2023
The Full Moon is typically a time to celebrate accomplishments, and prepare to release what no longer serves us.
The sign of Cancer is one associated with thoughts, feelings, and our home/domestic life.
As you know, the moon does not produce its own light. It reflects the sun’s light back to Earth.
The Full Moon in Cancer signals us to take a look at our thoughts, feelings, and actions and how they are reflected back to us by our reality.
During the full moon, crack open a notebook or journal and explore the following questions:
- How do our dominant thoughts reflect back to us by the situations and circumstances we find ourselves in life?
- Do our dominate thought patterns help or hinder our lives?
- How do our feelings about our life reflect back to us by our reality?
- Does feeling bad about something change it for the better? How can we shift our attitudes toward acceptance, forgiveness, releasing, or solutions.
- How do our day-to-day actions reflect back to us by the life we live in the present? Do our daily habits support or hinder our biggest life dreams?
As you explore how your thoughts and feelings reflect back to you by your reality, spend some time reflecting on what might be casting a shadow across your path to experiencing more joy, harmony, and connection in your life.
This is what you need to focus on releasing over the coming weeks as the moon wanes and becomes New.
Full Moon In Cancer Correspondences
Element: Water (Cancer is a water sign.)
Season: Winter (The Cancer Full Moon occurs during the winter, and signals the fulfillment of the intentions you set during the New Moon in Cancer, which occurs during the summer.
Candle Color: Amber, blue, turquoise.
Crystals/Stones: Both rainbow moonstone and satin spar/selenite are good stones to work with during a full moon.
Additionally, consider working with turquoise, amazonite, aquamarine, amber, or pearl.
Herbs/Tea: Lemon balm, comfrey, watercress.
Essential Oils/Incense: Lemon balm, eucalyptus.
Other Earth Magical Items: Crab shells, seashells, coral, snow, ice.
Full Moon In Cancer Rituals
Here are a few rituals that you can do under the Cancer Full Moon:
1) Cancer Full Moon Tarot
The tarot card associated with Cancer is the Chariot (VII) card.
You’d think the Chariot card would be a card of action and movement, but the depiction on the card in the classic Rider-Waite-Smith deck is not one of movement, but of stillness, and I see that as potential.
The Chariot card embodies self-belief and confidence. You might not yet be in motion, but you have everything you need to get moving – you just need get in touch with your feelings and connect with where you are right now.
The Chariot card can also signal conflicting influences in your life – whether that be conflict in your home life, work life, or internally.
If you work with the tarot, pull the Chariot card from your favorite deck and spend some time journaling about what you need to release in your life.
What is causing conflict? What do you want to do, but don’t feel like you can?
For a simple Full Moon in Cancer tarot spread, place the Chariot card down in front of you, then pull two random cards from the deck. Place one to the right of the Chariot card and the other to the left.
The one on the left of the Chariot card is what you need to release, the one on the right is what you need to embrace to boost your confidence, take the reigns, and get moving!
2) Honoring The Element Of Water
Cancer is a water sign, and so when the moon passes through water signs like Cancer, I like to incorporate the element of water into my rituals.
Several ways that Tracy and I do this is to:
- Ritualistically drink water during our Magick Morning routine.
- Working with a water-themed tarot or oracle deck. Our favorite is the Saltwater Reading Cards by Laura Bowen.
- Carry or meditate with river-tumbled stones, or pebbles that we found from lakes or oceans. Seashells are also a great way to connect.
- Take a bath.
3) Full Moon Journaling
I write in my journal every day, but I always spend a little extra time journaling under the light of Full Moons.
The Full Moon in Cancer, is a good time to connect with your feelings, and figure out what you need to release to bring your home life into energetic alignment.